Kanda Pohe Recipe
Maharashtrian Kanda Pohe Recipe – An authentic and traditional western Indian breakfast recipe made with beaten rice and Onion. This is a special version of the regular Poha; where chopped onions are added to enhanced flavor. Kanda Pohe and Tea are the best companion to each other. This breakfast provides a filling, healthy and delicious start of a day. It also goes well as an evening snack too. It is a quick, simple and healthy meal recipe. You can be make it with almost no efforts and served for any occasion. In Maharashtra, for marriage, when boy comes to see girl at her residence with his parents, then beautiful young charming girl then serves this famous Kande Pohe along with tea to them. A memorable life changing event for both.
Beaten rice, flattened rice or parched rice are the different words to denote Poha. It is generally serve as it is, but tastes better when top with fresh coconut and slice lemon.
In some regional Indian languages, poha is known as phov (konkani), avalakki (karnataka), aval (tamil & malayalam), atukulu (telugu), chira (bengali), paunva (gujarati) and as pauwa in hindi.
Poha absorbs any liquids (water or milk) so you can eat it as raw after soaking or cooked a bit. Recipes made with flattened rice requires little to no cooking.
Special Maharastrian Style Kanda Pohe Recipe
- Non stick Pan
- 1.5 Cups Thick Poha
- 1 tsp Sugar
- ¾ tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp Peanuts
- 1 tsp Mustard
- 1 tsp Cumin
- ⅛ tsp Asafoetida (Hing)
- 6-8 Curry Leaves
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 Green Chilli, finely chopped
- ½ tsp Turmeric
- 2 tbsp Coconut, grated
- 2 tbsp Coriander, finely chopped
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- Take 1.5 cups of thick poha
- Soak for 50 to 60 seconds
- Dreain Off the water
- Add 1 tsp Sugar and 3/4 tsp of salt
- Mix gently and keep aside
- Heat a kadhai and add 2 tbsp oil
- Add Raw Peanuts and roast it on low flame, keep aside
- Add Mustard Seeds, Cumin seeds, pinch of asafoetida and Curry Leaves Splutter them
- Add chopped onion, green chilli and saute for 1 min.
- Add turmeric and saute
- Add soaked poha, roasted peanuts and mix it well and simmer for 3 minutes
- Open the lid mix it and add coconut, coriander and lemon juice
- Mix it well and serve