Ekadashi Fasting – Recipes
“Ekadashi” or “Ekadasi” is an auspicious day for Hindus. it comes twice in each month of Hindu calender. Ekadashi fasting is observed on every 11th Tithi in each month. One during Shukla Paksha and another during Krishna Paksha. There are 24 Ekadashi in a year and each has its own significance.
As per their will power and physical strength, devotees can decide the type of Ekadashi fasting during Sankalp. In religious texts, there are four types of Ekadashi fasting that you can do.
- Jalahar (जलाहर) : Ekadashi fasting with only water. This type of fasing gives best results. Even some devotees refuse to take even water in whole day for fully devoted fasting. As refusal of even water is quite tough so rest other devotees observe it on “Nirjala Ekadashi” & take water on rest of the other ekadashi’s.
- Ksheerbhoji (क्षीरभोजी) : Ekadashi fasting with Ksheer. Ksheer refers to the milk & milk products only. Here you can take water, milk & milk products.
- Phalahari (फलाहारी) : Ekadashi fasting with Phala. Phala refers to fruits like mango, apple, grapes, banana etc. You can also consume dry fruits like almond, pista, cashew nuts etc. Now here you can also take things like water, milk & milk products.
- Naktabhoji (नक्तभोजी) : You can have single meal in a day just before sunset. Single meal should not have any variety of grains and cereals including beans, wheat, rice and pulses. All these are forbidden during Ekadashi fasting. This method also gives good results of ekadashi fasting but with least power. One can consume following list of items in Naktabhoji type of Ekadashi fasting :
List of Ingredients use for Naktabhoji Fasting :
- Sabudana (Sago)
- Singhada (Water caltrop)
- Shakarkandi (Sweet Potato)
- Rajgira (Amaranth grain)
- Groundnut Oil
- Cow Ghee
- Chili (Mirch) or Chili Powder
- Sendha Namak (Rock Salt)
- Black Paper (Kali Mirch)
- Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- For many Kuttu Atta (BuckWheat Flour) and Samak (Millet Rice or Bhagar or Mordhan) is also staple diet during single Ekadashi meal. However validity of both items as Ekadashi food is debatable as those are considered semi-grains or pseudo grains. It is better to avoid these items during fasting.
- You can also consume water, milk, milk products, fruits, dry fruits along with above things.
Food Recipes :
Food recipes will differ on the type of Ekadashi that you are willing to do. Obviously for Naktabhoji Ekadashi you will have maximum available recipes than others. You can refer following recipes as per type of ekadashi vrat that you are willing to perform.
Food Recipes For Naktabhoji Fasting :
- Sabudana Khichdi
- Sabidana Vada (Saga Balls) / Sabudana Tikki / Sabudana Pakoda
- Sabudana Kheer
- Sabudana Thalipith (Maharashtrian Pancake)
- Potato Sabji / Vrat Ke Aloo / Upvas Batata Bhaji
- Farali Patties
- Sweet Potato Tikki
- Peanut Chikki
- Dry fruit Chikki